Thursday, June 18, 2009

Post Two • Chapter 3 • Thursday, June 18th



Negus takes me right back to Mr. Meeker's class, circa 1997, when he (Meeker, my religion teacher) busted out his raggedy brown nylon string guitar and did his best rendition of "Imagine." Once through, he asked us all to sing along as he placed the transparency on the overhead. In retrospect, this man was being quite balsy and almost subversive. The good moms and dads of the community were paying top dollar for their kids to be in those hallowed halls of the ancient Catholic school, and here we all were, chanting:

Imagine there's no Heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today...

Not only was this fine with me - a whole brand Catholic - but it was exhilarating. I never had heard such a fantastically unifying song in my life - and the fact that my first time was a communal experience with friends was even more satisfying.

This idea that we could all be "one," or a part of a whole is something that is not lost on many. I wonder if the song would be such a "hit" had John Lennon not been a Beatle - or had he not already been such an advocate for peace and change in our world.

It is remarkable to picture (as Negus describes) Margaret Thatcher being greeted by a chorus of Conservatives in Britain - surely this is a song being political in the best sense of the word.

To sound quite pessimistic for a minute - I feel that it is the government's and organized religion's (large and small) last hope for all of us to live in this "imaginary" world where we are able to put aside heaven and hell and live together as one. Religion and government rely on the populace to be afraid and to cling to ideas of heaven and hell in order to make more and more profit. If we truly believed all was well and all was peaceful, than we would not rely on the government and all of its goods and services (nor capitalism's goods and services) to protect us in our lovely little gated communities. Nor would religions be able to get us into their marble temples where we can empty our pockets into their collection bins. While I believe in many things - and I believe it is necessary to believe in something as a fully functioning and rational human being - I do not think you have to spend your hard earned money to build your picket fence higher or your church or synagogue for that matter (full hypocritical disclosure - I love huge religious temples!).

I want to go on and on here about the odd connection I am finding between what Negus writes about Hitler wanting "music that would be emotionally rousing and which could also provide diversion and entertainment" (206) and the Obama election celebration this year. I remember the oodles of musicians playing their most "political" songs (John Mellencamp shouting "Pink Houses" just feet away from his new leader) and the millions gathered on the lawn. Clearly (and I do believe this) this was a positive way to rouse the people in the name of change and Obama knows exactly what he is doing when he enlists these huge entertainment gods to play for his benefit - afterall - a government that will succeed needs people on board and what better way than to tap into their tear ducts. It is no secret that the stars came out in droves to support Obama and prior to his inauguration they came out in numbers to denounce Bush (perhaps that helped drop his approval rating?).

I want to end (since I am exhausted) on a small tangent about "the nurturing of local talent" (211) and how much of a blessing it is (I think) that 89.3 The Current came along after the sad death of Drive 105. Negus points out that "giving local artists exposure on radio would encourage musical development and facilitate the career prospects of musicians" and I would add that it adds so much to the community and from a capitalistic perspective - it adds money directly to your state. People came out in droves to support the music they heard on the Current when they sold out Rock the Garden last year (and this year). I would also say that it betters the chances that a band will grow into their potential as they will be encouraged to "keep trying" if they hear themselves on the radio. My cousin Dosh has been a direct benefactor from the Current and I have seen him rise and be able to confidently rear (and feed) his children as a result of his fan base.



I once read an interview with Bruce Springsteen and he was talking about his feelings about the industry today. He thought that it would almost be impossible for him to make it today starting out. He began on scraps and playing from dive to dive until people started taking a chance on him. Only after hard years of growth did he come into the artist we all know and love (as well as an outspoken member of the "political" musicians out there). I believe that stations like the Current are giving chances to bands that may not be the best but may grow into something special (like Kings of Leon did on their latest album). So come on - other stations (I'm looking at you B96 - start playing Atmosphere, Brother Ali and Doomtree!) and get with the program - and keep Minnesota on the music map!

Favorite Political Song by Brother Ali:



[Full Disclosure - my nephews and neice were just over and ransacked my apartment and I am exhaustedly trying to get this assignment done - I will be much more alert next time. Also - I can't figure out how to turn the italics off! I have tried for 10 minute and am too tired to figure it out.]

No comments:

Post a Comment